Search This Blog

Saturday, July 28, 2012

MMC 640: Ethics and Decision-Making Week 8 Blog Entry


As the course proceeded to divulge a plethora of decision-making data, a few things stood out that initially caught my attention.  First, Common Biases (Chapter 2), Fairness and Ethics in Decision Making (Chapter 7) and Improving Decision Making (Chapter 11) seem to be the common denominator in any decision-making process.  Regardless of the leadership and management styles that you choose to employ, these three subjects can be universal and easy to apply.  I feel that they are the core to any successful organization and the people who manage it.

Next, I learned that although you may be in charge, there’s always room to grow.  A lot of people have too much pride that will eventually blind their thought process.  It’s okay to admit when you are wrong or when you need help.  People will always judge you but there’s no need to give them ammunition against you.  Your thought process will reproduce the ideas you intended to conjure up in the results of the decisions that you make on a daily basis.  I feel this is critical in the decision-making process because our lack of or too much emotion can cause us to make bad, possibly unethical choices.

Finally, I always apply the phrase “knowledge is power” to my thought process when making business declarations.  After reviewing all the information in our text and assignments, I realized that the smartest person is not always the most educated person in the room.  It may be as simple as the person who applies the most simple, ethical and common ideas but makes better choices.  I’m constantly reminded about this when I come to work.  There are people who will try to impress people with their rank or positions within their corporations but will end up making a fool of themselves.  After seeing both sides of good and bad leaders, I remind myself to stand for what you believe in and realize that everything will come full circle eventually.  Always remember that “you don’t have to be sick to get better.”

No comments:

Post a Comment